IMPORTANT DATES IN HEMET’S HISTORY
Mary E. Whitney
1887 Jan 27 Lake Hemet Water Company & Hemet Land Company founded by Edward L. Mayberry and William F. Whittier.
1887 Little Lake constructed between Stetson and Thornton, east of Lake St.
1888 Rail service from Perris to the San Jacinto Valley started.
1890 Lake Hemet Dam started in Hemet Valley, San Jacinto Mountains.
1891 First child born in Hemet-Mae Romero, daughter of Francisco.
1891 Flour mill constructed by Wm McCool on Latham beside RR tracks.
1891 Hemet Union High School District formed by San Diego County Supervisors, composed of Old San Jacinto, New San Jacinto, Harmony,and Diamond Valley School Districts. First Hemet High School was in a second floor San Jacinto business.
1892 Feb 25 Map for Town of Hemet recorded in San Diego County. Boundaries: Devonshire ave,north; Gilbert St, west; Acacia Ave, South; Buena Vista St, east.
1892 Hemet Post Office established in the Spring.
1893 May Riverside County formed from San Diego and San Beernardino Counties.
1893 July First telegram sent from Hemet to Riverside.
1893 Hemet Elementary School opened at Alessandro and Florida.
1893 Santa Fe Depot constructed in Hemet at Front St. & Latham Ave.
1893 Dec Hemet News founded by Joe Kerr and wife Emma Fowler Kerr.
1894 Hotel Mayberry constructed on S/S Florida between Harvard and State, electricity included.
1894 Hemet High School constructed N/W corner of Acacia and Buena Vista.
1894 Baptist Church constructed on donated lots at Kimball and Harvard.
1895 Oct Lake Hemet Dam completed to 122 & 1/2 feet in Hemet Valley in SJ Mtns.
1895 Hemet Population-200.
1895 June Whittier Opera House opened on north Harvard; burned down on 9/1899.
1897 Electric light installed in the middle of Harvard and Florida.
1898 Hotel Mayberry became Hotel Hemet-Whittier in charge.
1898 1893 Depot burned down in Dec 1897; new depot constructed.
1899 May Bank of Hemet started on north Hatvard, east side store front.
1899 dec 25 Major earthquake in San Jacinto Valley.
1902 Sunset Telephone and Telegraph Company lineman put crow- arms on poles and installed telephone lines. One suburban and three town lines were in operation.
1902 June Edward L. Mayberry dies at his El Molino Ranch-68 years old.
1903 Hemet Milling and Power Co. converted flour mill to supply electricity to businesses on Florida and Harvard.
1904 Sidewalks built on north Harvard & in front of Hotel Hemet.
1904 Hemet Odd Fellows Lodge formed.
1906 Hemet Opera House built on site of Whittier Opera House.
1906 Hemet Woman’s Club formed.
1906 H.E. Bothin Mansion constructed on top of Park Hill.
1906 Hemet-San Jacinto Gas Company formed for home & business heating.
1907 Hemet Chamber of Cammerce organized to work for cityhood.
1907 Farmers & Merchants Bank started NIW comer Harvard & Florida
1908 Howard Rosc Company formed
more to come-this is page 1 of 4 pages from Mary’s list